Search This Blog

Thursday, January 13, 2011

I am against it, but might have to go through with it

declawing, I find that it is a form of cruelity unless done for the benefit of the animal and on the rare occurrences where humans might be endangered--especially children--it must be done. I have a 3 month old female kitten. She came to me as a foster at 5 weeks, was a runt, and was completely feral. I worked through most of her fears and taught her slowly what is acceptable in the house and what's not (like jumping on counters and on tables is a big no-no, sitting on someone's lap while they are eating and/or begging for food is a big no-no, scratching on the furniture and people a big no-no). most of that she has understood except that she is not loosing some of her feral tendencies, how I know, cat in the wild either bury or hide their 'kill/prey' in a tree or somewhere high away from other predators. She does this not only with her food but with her toys. She either hides all her toys in the highest place she is allowed to go on (which is usually my bed, she hides them in my pillow cases) or she buries them in her litter box (for which they are either tossed in the garbage or washed, depending) or she 'drowns' them in her water bowl. I have successfully gotten her to use the scratching post instead of sharpening her claws on the walls and furniture BUT she will not learn, no matter how hard I try, to stop scratching and biting people. She has successfully sliced my finger so bad that I almost needed stitches and all I went to do was pet her. My contradiction is though, I am against declawing unless beneficial to the animal or in cases where humans might be endangered. In which case I might have to declaw her for two reasons 1)the state I am in has a very strict no bit no claw law where if a cat or dog has so many aggressive occurrences, even to the pet owner, they will be put down, and two) I have two little nephews, there is a possibility that they can contract cat scratch fever, actually from what the doctor is, any one of any age can technically contract it but children are the most likely to contract it. all that jazz. I am in a pickle here. Compromise my morals and views to save a cat although I will technically be mutilating it (because declawing is them surgically cutting off their first digit of the finger, look it up if you don't understand what I mean) or do I stick with it and hope she learns before she does worse than she has done now?
what to do? what to do? what to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment